Greece is known for its stunning and picturesque islands, each with their own unique charm and beauty. With the summer season in full swing, it's the perfect time to plan a visit to some of Greece's top islands. In this article, The Bubble Collection will rank the top ten Greek islands to visit this summer and explain why each island is unique.
The best way to travel to the Greek islands from Athens is by ferry. There are several ferry companies that operate from the port of Piraeus in Athens, offering regular connections to the islands. The duration of the journey depends on the island you are heading to, but on average it takes between two to six hours. For longer distances to islands such as Crete or Rhodes, there are also flights available from Athens International Airport. It is recommended to book your tickets in advance, especially during the high season (July-August), to avoid last-minute stress and disappointment. For more information on ferry schedules, prices, and bookings, you can visit the websites of the main ferry companies such as Blue Star Ferries, Hellenic Seaways, or Aegean Airlines for flights.
1. Santorini is the most popular island in Greece, and for good reason. The island's distinctive white-washed buildings and blue-domed churches set against the backdrop of the Aegean Sea make it one of the most picturesque places in the world. Visitors can enjoy the stunning views, delicious food and unique black sand beaches. And sunset viewing in Oia is a must! It is also home to some of the best wineries in Greece, making it an excellent destination for wine lovers.
Luxury - Perivolas Hotel
Mid-Range - Anemomilos Hotel
Affordable - Stelios Place
2. Mykonos is known for its vibrant nightlife, beautiful beaches, and charming architecture. The island is a popular destination for party-goers and celebrities, and if that's what you're looking for head to Nammos at Psarou Beach for dancing and great shopping. Mykonos also boasts a rich history, with landmarks like the Windmills of Mykonos and the Church of Panagia Paraportiani. The island is also a gay mecca, so be sure to enjoy some of the entertaining drag shows at some of its popular gay venues.
Luxury - Belvedere Hotel
Mid-Range - Mykonos Bay Resort and Villas
Affordable - Aeolos Resort
3. Crete is the largest island in Greece and is a melting pot of history, culture, and natural beauty. The island is known for its warm and hospitable culture, with friendly locals who are always eager to share their traditions and customs. Visitors can explore the ancient Palace of Knossos, hike through the stunning Samaria Gorge, which is the longest gorge in Europe, and enjoy the island's famous cuisine, wine and spectacular beaches.
Luxury - Domes Noruz Chania
Mid-Range - Creta Maris Resort
Affordable - El Greco Hotel
Rhodes (Photo: Antonio Magri)
4. Rhodes is home to one of the most well-preserved medieval towns in Europe and is a UNESCO World Heritage site. It also offers beautiful beaches, excellent hiking opportunities and plenty of ancient ruins to explore - including the Acropolis of Lindos.
Luxury - Atrium Platinum Luxury Resort
Mid-Range - Rodos Park Suites and Spa
Affordable - Hotel Mediterranean
Corfu (Photo: Alexander Mils)
5. Corfu is a lush and green island and boasts a rich history and culture that is a blend of Greek, Venetian, French and British influences. Visitors can explore the island's beautiful beaches and charming villages, and enjoy the island's delicious cuisine featuring fresh seafood and local meats.
Luxury - Ikos Dassia
Mid-Range - Mayor Mon Repos Palace Art Hotel
Affordable - Sunset Hotel
Navagio Beach, Zakynthos (Photo: Yong Eui Choi)
6. Zakynthos is a beautiful island with stunning beaches and crystal-clear waters. Visitors can explore the island's natural beauty, including the world-famous Navagio Beach, and enjoy the island's flavorful cuisine, traditional villages and vibrant nightlife. The island is also home to the endangered loggerhead sea turtles, which nest on its beaches every year, making it a popular destination for eco-tourists.
Luxury - Lesante Blu Exclusive Beach Resort
Mid-Range - Avalon Hotel
Affordable - Zante Atlantis Hotel
Naxos (Photo: Shannon Kircher/The Wanderlust Effect)
7. Naxos is known for its breathtaking natural beauty and ancient ruins and is a fantastic destination for history and beach-lovers alike. It is also home to the stunning Portara, a giant marble doorway that is over 2,500 years old.
Mid-Range - Hotel Grotta
Affordable - Pension Irene 2
Paros (Photo: Alessandro Giovanelli)
8. Paros, with its charming villages and stunning beaches, is a hidden gem in the Cyclades. The island has a lively nightlife scene with a variety of bars, clubs and beach parties that cater to all tastes. It is also a popular destination for windsurfing and kiteboarding.
Luxury - The Parilio Hotel
Mid-Range - The Hotel Paros Agnanti
Affordable - The Hotel Eri
Hydra (Photo: Anastasius)
9. Hydra is a unique island that has maintained its traditional character with no cars or motorcycles allowed. Once a jetset hangout, the island has been a popular destination for artists, writers and musicians throughout history. Visitors can explore the island's charming port town, hike through scenic mountains, and enjoy the island's tasty cuisine.
Luxury - Hotel Orloff
Mid-Range - Leto Hotel
Affordable - Phaedra Hotel
Milos (Photo: Gregory Cole/The Bubble Collection)
10. Milos is known for its rocky landscapes, crystal-clear waters and colorful beaches. The popular Sarakiniko Beach features smooth, white, volcanic rocks carved by wind and sea into bizarre formations that resemble sculpted sculptures. Milos is a stunning, off-the-beaten track island that is perfect for nature lovers and is home to the famous Venus de Milo statue, which was discovered on the island in 1820.
Luxury - Milos Cove
Mid-Range - Kapetan Tasos Suites
Affordable - Hotel Eleni
No matter which island you choose to visit, you're guaranteed to have an unforgettable time in Greece. And what better way to capture the essence of Greece than with the perfect fragrance? Santorini Wander Bubble, the bestselling niche fragrance by The Bubble Collection, is the perfect unisex fragrance to wear in Greece. With notes of Blue Sea, Blue Sky, Bergamot, Mandarin, Pink Pepper, Pear, Jasmine, Cedarwood, Bigaflower, Orange Blossom, Musk, Vetiver, Sea Moss, and Warm Amber, this fragrance perfectly captures the essence of the Greek islands. So why not add a touch of luxury to your Greek island adventure with Santorini Wander Bubble?
Shop online at The Bubble Collection.